Author Topic: Contest 29  (Read 2529 times)

Offline DGro

• Eulenspiegel
Contest 29
« on: 07 October, 2012, 22:53:14 »
Hi,
I am the owner of a contest 29 mk2 hull number 182 built in 1971. This ship was buyed by my parents in 1973. Since then i sailed the years in the northsea and the baltic sea. Now I am in Co-ownership with my brother. Home of the ship is Bremen/Germany. Over the years we did some restorations: new engine (Yanmar 2GM20); painting of hull and deck; new teak deck; renewing of the Bugbeschlag (engl..?) and others.
Attached 2 Photos.
Greetings   Dirk
Contest 29 mk 2

maxbolweg

Re: Contest 29
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2012, 13:50:18 »
Sehr Schoen!

Offline Contest 29 mk2

« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2012, 22:25:02 »
Nice boat and nice history! Your family is really faithfull to this onel The picture of your avatar looks nice als well, can you post it in full size? What are the other mods/renewals?
« Last Edit: 30 October, 2012, 22:30:36 by Contest 29 mk2 »
Contest zeiler sinds 1989!

Offline DGro

• Eulenspiegel
« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2012, 22:08:00 »
Here is a list of winterwork done over several years:
-new bow pulpit
-cockpit tent
-locker on starboard (ex quarter berth locked by a bulkhead); locker for gas bottle
-new mast base (see picture)
-new engine shaft / clutch
-blackwatertank in the foreship
-coolbox/refrigerator under the chart table
-new teak deck / rubbing strake / handrails (see picture)
-instrument panel
-upper rudder fitting shoe
-furling genua
-main sail reefing
-teak grating on bottom of cockpit
Please take a look at the attached pictures; if somebody is interested in details, I will take some more photos.
Greetings
Dirk
Contest 29 mk 2

Eelke

« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2013, 09:08:15 »
Goodman looks Nice
Oir contest 29 has THE nummer 180, we juist bought her ane she has à teak deck as well.

I believe  the deck has to renende as well was this is this an expensive Job?

Another question where is your shorepower socket located as I want to install this as well but are looking for THE best location.

Awaiting yours

Eelke

Offline pieter2

« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2013, 12:01:26 »
Hi Dirk,

Could you please give some more information on how you renewed the mastbase and how you removed the old wood inside?

regards

Pieter
Contest 29

Offline DGro

• Eulenspiegel
« Reply #6 on: 02 January, 2013, 21:28:00 »
Hi Pieter,
when i had opened the mastbase as shown on the picture, it was easy to remove the remaining wood with a chisel. Most of it was nearly turf.  In some areas it was possible to use an electrical drill with a cutter bit on top. I recommend not to remove too much of the fibreglass to keep the old shape.
The opening in front was necessary to fit in the new plywood-pieces sealed with Epoxy.
Greetings
Dirk
Contest 29 mk 2

Offline DGro

• Eulenspiegel
« Reply #7 on: 02 January, 2013, 22:08:22 »
Hi Eelke,
we renewded the teakdeck in 2012. 20 years ago we first time placed a teakdeck on the boat. Both decks are plywood-based and glued with epoxy. The old deck had 4 mm teak on the surface and this stratum was weared down over the years. Because the adhesion on the original fibreglass deck was still very good, we didn`t remove the old one and laid the new deck above (now 6mm teak on 3 mm plywood).
Since the first teakdeck we had no longer the "crackle"- noise inside the boat, when a heavy person entered the vordeck. :)
I hope the new deck will stay 20 years again, so the costs will distribute over the years (we made a package with rubberstrakes and handrails).
To shorepower: at the moment I put the cabledrum inside the starboard locker; beneath the chart table I have placed a power strip with fault interrupter and I connect the plug into the cable drum. I think the best solution is a socket in the swallows nest as shown in other posts.
Greetings Dirk
Contest 29 mk 2

Eelke

« Reply #8 on: 02 January, 2013, 22:47:18 »
Goodevening Dirk,

Thanks for the info.
Eelke

BJSoft