Author Topic: Help with Information on a 1991 Contest 35S  (Read 2017 times)

Offline jasn

Help with Information on a 1991 Contest 35S
« on: 05 September, 2013, 17:25:05 »
Hello,

I have an accepted contract to purchase what is advertised as a 1991 Contest 35S here on the East Coast of the United States. If the survey doesn't discover any major issues this coming Monday, then I will complete the purchase and happily join the Contest owner family. From the hull identification number it appears that this boat is hull number 223, which would have put it in the middle of the 50 boat production run. I have researched her history, from both the website Marineliens.com, and from the US Coast Guard online database.

The Marineliens.com website had her original name, and hailing port, but had her length listed at 34 feet. I assume this was rounded down from the actual length of 34.58 feet. The US Coast Guard online database information shows both a record for her original name and hailing port, and a second record with her listed under her current name and current hailing port. Both records show her correct length, however, both Marineliens.com and the US Coast Guard database information have her built in 1990.

This boat has been advertised as a 1991 boat. Does anyone know if this is normal, or is the sale information stated incorrectly? Also would it be possible to get more information on this boat from Conyplex in some way? If so, please feel free to instruct me who to contact in order to achieve this. I have ordered the documentation history from the US Coast Guard website, which should provide the history of ownership of her in the US, including original purchase date. Unfortunately it's not delivered online, but in hardcopy through the US Mail.

Thanks..

Jason

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
Re: Help with Information on a 1991 Contest 35S
« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2013, 09:50:25 »
Hi Jason, welcome to this forum. The Contest 35S was build between 1988 and 1998 so it's your boat could very well be a 1991 model. If you are sure on the HIN 223 I will try to find to find out the exact year.  The length of 34 feet seems a bit odd, according to the Contest documentation she should measure 35' 8".
If you need more technical details on the design and build of this model you can also contact Dick Zaal through his website .

h.t.h.

Offline jasn

« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2013, 18:00:35 »
Thank you BJ,

For your welcome and offer to help. In fact you point out something that I had noticed and then overlooked. The official Contest Yachts statistics differ very much from the information that is available at Sailboatdata.com for the Contest 35S. I suppose one could simply write it off as a mistake when creating the entry for the Sailboatdata.com website, however the 35S I'm looking at, is officially documented, (US Coast Guard title information), using those same (smaller) measurements. Here's a comparison of the differences;

Data Point          Contest Yachts          Sailboatdata.com
LOA                  10.9m                     10.54m
LWL                  9.30m                     8.71m
Beam                3.52m                     3.40m

Draft Std Keel    1.90m                     1.75m
Ballast Std         2500kg                    2501kg

Draft Wing Keel  1.50m                     1.35m
Ballast Wing       2650kg

Displacement      8420kg                   5915kg

Years Made        1988-1998               1988-1998
Number Made     49                          42

Sources:

Contest Yachts
--------------
http://www.contestyachts.com/yachts/classics/14/contest-35s.html
http://www.contestyachts.com/media/936/contest-35s.pdf

Sailboatdata.com
----------------
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3335

I will use your suggestion to contact the designer at their website and pose the same question. I will also follow up the thread here with any response I get.

Thanks again,

Jason
« Last Edit: 06 September, 2013, 18:03:11 by jasn »

Offline jasn

« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2013, 18:51:24 »
I finished emailing the designer and then using the links provided in another post to this sub-forum, I found on their website a listing for the Contest 35S dimensions;

Length: 10.55 m
LOA: 10.87 m
LWL: 8.70 m
Beam: 3.4 m
Draft: 1.75 m
Displacement: 5.92 t
Ballast: 2500 kg.

Source:

http://www.dickzaalyachtdesign.nl/yachts/4681/contest_35s.html

Most of these dimensions are closer to the Sailboatdata.com numbers, so I will assume that they are good numbers. Interesting that the "Length" number listed corresponds closer to the Sailboatdata.com LOA measurement for the 35S, and the "LOA" number listed is closer to the Contest Yachts measurement for LOA. However, this webpage introduces another confusing item for me. It states;

In production 1988 till 1997   Building numbers 35261 till 35305?

The 1991 35S I'm looking at has a build number that precedes this number series. Anyway, I'm going to stop worrying because I'm certain that this is a 35S, and whether or not it's a 1990 or 1991, doesn't really matter. If anyone has any additional information that they can provide, or if you can point me to someone I could email to get more information on this particular boat, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline jasn

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2013, 01:07:42 »
Jut to follow up after receiving some more information. It appears that the specifications from Sailboatdata.com and Mr. Zaal's website provide the correct dimensions for the Contest 35S, (and that the specifications on the PDF file from the Contest Yachts website, which is the same PDF here on the CYOC website, provide incorrect specifications). Mr. Zaal replied to my email and mentioned the following regarding some differences with the specifications listings;

There was some confusing what the Length Over All meant after the CE ruling came in force as they added bowsprits and pulpits to the length of the hull.

So the 10.55 mtr L.O.A  is no now  L.O.H.

The CE  L.O.A for the 35s is aprox.10.83 mtr as measured from the drawing.

Mr. Zaal has also updated the information on his webpage for the Contest 35S for the correct build numbers, which now includes the boat I am looking to purchase, (HIN 223). It now states;

(design no. 75) Contest 35s

In production 1988 till 1997   Building numbers 35201 till 3530249

I also received an email from someone at the Contest Yachts Brokerage who confirmed that this particular boat is a 35S manufactured in 1990. They stated that the American reseller of the boat, could have then sold it in 1991, which may explain why it has been advertised as a 1991. I actually don't care if this boat is a 1991 or 1990, but I wonder whether or not I should have any official documentation, such as Bill of Sale, describe the boat as a 1990, instead of a 1991, as any research on this boat shows that it was built by Conyplex in 1990. I don't see any official documentation that describes the boat as a 1991.

How exactly does someone determine the model year of a sailboat? The year it was built? or the year it was sold?

Thanks,

Jason

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2013, 09:45:03 »
Hi Jason, thanks for all the follw-ups, at least it's all clear now. I alse received an email from Mr. Dick Zaal pointing out that there are som errors on the CYOC website. Ik will address this as soon as possible.
On the determination on the exact year I would say the year that she was launched, not the date of purchase. However, that is just my personal choice, I don't know is there is any legal jurisprudence in this matter. But how about a car: how would you advertise a '65 Thunderbird that was first sold in let's say 1970?

Offline jasn

« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2013, 16:35:57 »
BJ,

Well the CYOC website simply used the material provided by Contest. It's just that it appears the their original PDF for the 35S has the incorrect specifications. You also bring up a good point in that I would think that items such as this, would have to be advertised correctly. The good news is that I was the one confused, and it appears that the boat HAS been advertised correctly all along. After doing some further research, I believe I've confirmed that this Contest 35S is a boat that was manufactured in 1990, and is a 1991 model. I posted a similar question over on the Sailnet forums, and someone there kindly pointed me to this webpage which helped me decode the HIN and confirm the manufacture and model year.

So the bottom line is that I'm all set. I have all my questions answered regarding this boat, and I simply await a confirmation from the surveyor before I close on her, and join the Contest owner family!

Thanks again,

Jason

BJSoft