Author Topic: Contest 31  (Read 1070 times)

Offline AndyT

Contest 31
« on: 16 October, 2012, 12:42:36 »
Well I've finally taken ownership of my Contest 31 (old version not the HT). I have a few jobs to sort out but hopefully by the middle of November she will be in the water and sailing ;D

First job was to take out the old gas system which has been done and a nice new Origo stove has now been installed.

Next job is the mast to come down and fit new standing rigging and also new chainplates as the current ones are showing signs of corrosion.

Then to check the steering mechanics, new exhaust hose to be fitted and hopefully switch to a PSS shaft seal.

Oh - I almost forgot the that all the seacocks are being replaced. I think that should keep her sailing for a while yet!

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
Re: Contest 31
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2012, 13:38:19 »
Sounds like you will be busy for a while  ;)     If you have the time can you take a few pictures so other members can learn from your experiences? 

Offline AndyT

« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2012, 14:51:06 »
No problem. I missed taking photo's of taking out the gas system but that is not a difficult job by any means.

I think the most difficult part will be fitting under the cockpit to work on the steering system and the cockpit drains.....There's not much space under there!

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2012, 15:20:33 »
I know, that's not really a nice job. I have a C33, roughly the same size under the cockpit.  You do need someone slim and youg for that kind of work   :D

Valentine

« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2012, 15:36:57 »

Well, since my wife is practicing yoga regularly, she reaches all the places of the boat I wouldn´t even dream of creeping to...

Anyway: Congrats to your Contest. One Tipp: Check the support of the mast a) on deck and b) of the main bulkhead in the bilge. Sometimes there are some issues with contests. When replacing the seacocks don´t save on the material. Use bronce instead of brass or stainless steel. If there is sufficient space available, ii personally prefer the tru design ones.

rgs

Alex

Offline AndyT

« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2012, 11:56:48 »
Hi Alex, and thanks for your post. The area around the mast base has been worked on previously and there seem to be no issues there now (according to my surveyor as well).

I'm also pleased to say that I have now just received my new tru design seacocks.  ;D

Now, does anyone know about the design at the top of the rudder tube? Mine does not seam to have a seal of any kind which I think needs to be fitted.

BJSoft